Sequencing of learning is the ability to plan the vocabulary knowledge that your learners will be served within a set time. This allows you to sequence your subject-specific vocabulary curriculum ahead of time to coincide with what you teach in the classroom and align with your curriculum plans. This ensures that learning on Bedrock supports and aligns with classroom learning.
Sequencing is flexible, so it can be used to meet the needs of your subject and your learners. There are lots of ways that this sequencing can be used.
First, you must navigate to the ‘classes and sequencing’ tab and select the class that you wish to sequence the learning for.
A word must be ready to teach so that it can be made active and sequenced. Words must be active and sequenced with at least a start date to be served to learners in a session.
When a word is ‘active’ it will be served to learners on the date that has been sequenced.
- Select the individual word or multiple words that you wish to activate
- From the dropdown menu underneath ‘change’ select ‘active’
- Select ‘active’ or ‘inactive’
- Then, select ‘apply’ for the status of the words to change
You may wish to make words inactive to remove access to words in the future.
Once your words are active, you can sequence specific dates for words to be served to learners. This can be set up in advance or as you go.
Adding dates to sequence
- Select the individual words or multiple words that you wish to sequence. You can select all the words using the checkbox in the title bar or you can customise your selection by selecting and deselecting individual words.
- From the dropdown menu underneath ‘change’ select ‘start/end date’
- Then, use the calendar to set a start date. The start date will be the date that learners can start to access those particular words. Every word must have a start date, but the end date is optional. If you set an end date, the word and the activities will no longer be available for the learners once the date has passed even if learners haven’t completed the content yet. If you don’t set an end date, the words will always be available until learners have completed the teaching sequencing.
- Once you’ve selected the dates, click ‘confirm’ and then ‘apply’ for the dates to be added to the words.
Think about the set size in each session to ensure that enough words have been set up for learners.
Remember, words must be marked as active to be accessible to the learner even if a start date is assigned.
A flexible approach to sequencing using start dates and optional end dates makes sequencing even easier to do, and make sure that you can align it with your curriculum intent.
Use the copy curriculum sequencing button to copy the content and assigned dates