Before you can start building your subject-specific vocabulary curriculum, you must decide the words you intend to teach.
If you haven't already planned your vocabulary…
Think about the following questions:
- What are the essential Tier 2 words for each topic/subject?
- What are the essential Tier 3 words for each topic?
Use the Bedrock Created Content for inspiration - view your subject and explore the topics and words that are already available.
If you have already planned your vocabulary…
If you have already chosen the essential words that are part of your schemes of learning, lessons, knowledge organisers etc., think about the following questions:
- How many words would you like each learner to know throughout the academic year?
- How many sessions are you expecting learners to complete per week/fortnight/half term?
- How many words will be in each session set?
- What order do you need to teach the words to align with your classroom teaching?
You may also want to think about different cohorts of learners, do all learners need the same vocabulary?